Saturday, May 14, 2011

Following Lewis and Clark's Footprints Today (Day 8)

Another day of following the Oregon Trail; but today we met up with the Columbia River which was Lewis and Clark's means of transportation.  At first I thought Lewis & Clark had it easier than the early settlers that were walking; but I've been told that those explorers canoed many rivers going against the current.  I bet they were happy that they could go with the flow of the Columbia as it made it's way to the Pacific Ocean.  Now that  was an adventure!  The state of Washington is on the other side.  What a view!
    We took the scenic byway through Mount Hood National Park. It's majestic splendor is breath-taking.  As we drove through the lower elevations of the peak, we were amazed to see mile after mile of orchards of cherries, pears, grapes, and apples trees.  This place would be a bee's vacation! With all the vineyards, there are lots of wineries along the way to stop and do some sampling if you choose.  Designated driver recommended :-)
  I was on a mission to find a student I had in 6th grade.  No...this person in the picture is not the student, it's her dad (explain later).  His daughter and I have kept in touch by email and Facebook since she moved with her family to Oregon about 6 years ago.  She had told me one time that she had a dream that she woke up in the middle of the night by someone knocking at her door.  She opened the door and it was "ME!"  Now for some of my students that might have been a nightmare!  Who knows...I told her... but if it ever happened it would not be in the middle of the night, I'm old and I go to bed by eleven :-)  So....back to my mission...since we were heading to Washington to catch the ferry to Alaska, this would be the perfect time to stop and see her.  I wanted to surprise her because I figured she thought I would never really come to her house.  We found the house, with some searching, because they had moved and had a phone change so I couldn't call.   Then... "NO ONE WAS HOME!" Ahhhhh....as I walked down the street to the motor home, a car passed by and my instincts told me to go back and see if the car pulled into the driveway of the house I was just at.  Sure enough it did!  It was the people I was looking for...except my ex-student wasn't with her parents.  Her parents were shocked to see me and couldn't believe I was there. (now back to explanation of my picture with her dad)  My ex-student was going to prom in another town   and wouldd be gone the whole weekend so I wanted to prove to her that I was really at her house.....so I had my picture taken with her dad.  I wish it would have worked out  where I would have knocked at her door, she answered, and I could see the  surprised look on her face.  I guess just letting her know that her old, old, old, friend was thinking about her will have to do for now.  Who knows....maybe someone will knock on my door in the future and it will be my ex-student, my friend.  One thing I know...I won't be at the prom:-)

2 comments:

  1. Bummer! I know you were really hoping that you'd get to see her. At least you have the evidene now though :) Wow, Oregon looks beautiful. I would absolutely love to go there. Maybe in a couple of years Jeff and I will take a trip out there together. I've always wanted to see the Redwoods in Cali. Glad to see all is going well! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would love it out here with the beautiful mountain peaks! Someday, you'll have to go out and see the redwood tree named General Sherman. It's unbelieveably huge! I don't know if they still do; but they use to have a tree that a car could drive through! Hard to imagine huh.

    ReplyDelete

Followers