Thursday, May 26, 2011

How Can I Go To Sleep When It's Still Light Out? (Day 19)


Warning....if you ever see this sign in Canada...slow down!  I didn't understand the odd Canadian signs; but learned this one quickly.  It means bumps ahead and believe me they were not little!  It felt like we were on a bucking bronco!  I thought going on the ferry would make me sick; but I was wrong....it was the Alaskan Highway!  When we got on the U.S. side the road was as smooth as could be....for awhile and then we rode the bucking bronco again for miles and miles.  The bad thing is that it is the only road and we will have to take it again when we want to head over to Denali Park.
We got back up into the elevations where there was snow on the ground again.  As you can see, many of the lakes still have some ice on them.  Snow.....ice.... and yet we didn't even have to wear jackets it was so nice and warm.  We pulled over at this pull-off and had lunch, it was just beautiful!

  We put on over 400 miles today and decided we needed to find a campground and take it easy for a few days.
We found a campground in the small town of Tok, Alaska.  It's called Sourdough Campground because its specialty is sourdough pancakes.  We were invited to a pancake toss challenge.  They had some hardened pancakes from the morning's breakfast and you were given two to toss in a bucket.  If you got one pancake in the bucket you would win a free sourdough pancake breakfast the next morning.  Unfortunately...we didn't win; but it was fun!  As we were sitting there we ran into the people we camped next to in Bellingham, WA....isn't that a coincidence....small world.
I had to snap a picture of what it looks like outside right now.  It is after eleven o'clock at night!  How can a person go to sleep when it is still light out and it feels like 5 in the afternoon?  This morning I woke up and thought it was time to get up because it was so light out.  When I looked at the clock it was 3:30 in the morning!  So here I sit...waiting for my brain to finally realize it really "is" time to go to sleep.  Guess I have to hop in bed and just close my eyes....   at least it will be dark then :-)

1 comment:

  1. 400 miles! I suppose you can drive as long as you want and not miss anything because it is so light out. Did you see any moose or other wildlife? The mountains are beautiful.
    Travel safe.......
    Love,
    Helen

    ReplyDelete

Followers